Visa and TRP

Applying for visa and TRP

All students who are not Estonian citizens need to apply for a visa, temporary residence permit or register their place of residence in Estonia. The visa and residence permit application process will begin after the student has been accepted to study on the chosen program and paid the tuition fee.


Please note that Estonia does not issue a "study visa", all non-EU students should apply for a temporary residence permit for studying (TRP). When certain conditions are met, then it is possible to apply for the D-visa (long term) to travel to Estonia and apply for a residence permit after arrival. 

Degree student from EU/EEA country

  • has a right to stay in Estonia on the basis of a valid travel document or an identity card for the period of up to 3 months without registration of the right of residence.
  • obtains the right of temporary residence upon registration of his/her place of residence in the City District Administration.
  • has to apply for an Estonian ID-card within 1 month from obtaining the temporary right of residence. More information here.

Degree student from non-EU country

  • has to apply for long-stay D-visa in order to enter Estonia for studies. 
  • has to apply for a temporary residence permit for study after arrival to Estonia at the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board office. More information here.
  • a temporary residence permit is given out for the duration of the studies. University sends documents required for the temporary residence permit directly to the Estonian Police and Border Guard office.
  • has to register their place of residence in the Local Government authority within 1 month from the arrival to Estonia on the basis of residence permit for study. 

Long term (D) visa


If you are a student from outside the EU and your studies duration is up to 1 year, then you should apply for D-visa prior to your arrival.  D visa may be issued for single or multiple entries into Estonia with a period of validity up to twelve months and with the period of stay up to 365 days.


Receiving a D visa takes approximately 2 weeks.


Please find the nearest Estonian embassy to you from the Ministry of Foreign affair's homepage and schedule an appointment at the embassy for your interview. The list of documents that is required can be found on the website of Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


If there is no Estonian Embassy in your country, you will have to travel to the Estonian Embassy closest to you in order to present your visa application documents. You can check the location of the nearest embassy to you here


You can prefill the D-visa application form online here


Temporary residence permit


Non-EU citizens, who are accepted for Bachelor's, Master’s and PhD studies and do not own a valid Estonian residence permit, must apply for a temporary residence permit for the duration of studies after their arrival to Estonia. Processing temporary residence permit takes approximately 2 months.


You can book an appointment at the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board officeThe appointments can be booked 3 months in advance.


More information about the application process and the documents required can be found here.

Migration advice 


Migration advisors work in the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board, with the aim to help foreigners to settle in Estonia.


Personal advisors give legal advice about different legal grounds to live in Estonia and the necessary documentation for people coming to study and work here but also to employers and educational institutions who invite foreigners. The counseling service specializes in residence and temporary stay, but also documents and citizenship issues. 

The advisors work in Estonian, English and Russian. This service is free of charge.   


Contact information and working hours: 

  • They advise via phone, email, Skype call or by appointment. Make a reservation in order to meet with the advisor or to make a Skype call.  
  • Phone: +372 612 3500 (Mon-Fri 9.00-15.00) 
  • E-mail:
  • Skype: EstonianPolice_MigrationAdvice 


Insurance companies that the Republic of Estonia accepts are brought out here. The page is in Estonian but all the international companies are brought out there as a list also in English.  


Please read more about insurance here.